Thursday, March 31, 2011

OpenSolaris

Open Solaris happens to be my latest flame.... I got an iso file and now I am all set to try this one out. Actually I was searching for UNIX... The command prompt one where you need to code using vi and have the C compiler to compile code in C.. but to my dismay , there was no existing version of Unix present which was so to say , PURE-BLOOD!!!! 

As I saw that versions such as FreeBSD OpenBSD and Solaris was at hand , I decided to try out Solaris, small in size (644 MB) as well as it has a inbuilt Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox to take care of my networking needs.

Also we have a Sun Studio compiler which has C C++ and Fortran (to my surprise) in it.
That was another reason... recently I have been interested in Fortran and wished to try this one out. I got some books (e-books to be precise) and tried out some in my Ultimate Desktop using the gfortran compiler. Now I can try out all the same things in the Sun Studio version for i86 machines.....

Will post my experiences more as I get more and more of it.. Sorry for the long break...

Thans ADIEU

PS:  Our site Neil Sen is now running at 1560 hits.... thats pretty cool.. What do you say????

No comments:

Post a Comment